Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Keep Going

Don’t you just love to watch people run? Whether they’re running a race, or a marathon, or just trying to get into shape, there’s something inspiring about seeing a person running. Every time I see a runner, I just want to cheer and encourage him or her to keep going.

Well, with one possible exception. If the person is wearing a ski mask and carrying a gun, I probably won’t cheer.

Just saying.

But any other kind of runner inspires me. The sight tends to stir up memories of the theme song from “Chariots of Fire.” It makes me want to go lace up my own running shoes, and give it a go.

Woman Jogging Blur

As a matter of fact, I have started running recently. Now, don’t be too impressed. I can run about .2 miles without stopping. That’s point two. Then, I walk a few steps, catch my breath, and run about .2 more. And on it continues, until I reach my goal.

Or until I collapse in the grass. Whichever comes first.

But here’s the good news: When I keep going, I eventually reach my goal. It may take a while, but I get there. As a matter of fact, last week I racked up a whopping 3.6 miles a day! Jog a little. Walk a little. Jog a little. Walk a little.

I may not win any races except my own. But in the end, isn’t that the only race that matters?

My little jogging victories remind me of the importance of continuing on in the pursuit of other goals. Like the twenty pounds I want to lose. Sure, I’d like to lose it all in a week. But even if I lose a half pound a week . . . I’ll get there. So what if it takes nearly a year? That year will pass by, anyway. If I give up, I won’t be any better off then than I am now. So I’ll just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Most of us have goals. Hard goals, or they wouldn’t be worth having as a goal in the first place. And often, we are tempted to just collapse in the grass before we get there.

Goals like finishing that college degree. One class at a time. Or getting that garage cleaned out. One square foot at a time. It may take a while. But if we just keep taking tiny little steps, we’ll get there.

Our journeys of faith can seem that way, too. Sometimes, having faith in God is hard. When things happen that we don’t understand, or things don’t go our way, we often want to just quit. We want to say, “Never mind, God. This is too hard. I’ll do this on my own, without you.”

And then we collapse in the grass. And we stay there. And a day passes, then a week, then a year, then a decade passes . . . and we’re not any further along in our journeys toward becoming who He created us to be than we were when we first gave up.

Oh, the failure doesn’t come in collapsing. We all want to give up now and again. The failure comes when we refuse to get back up, when we refuse to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I don’t know about you, but I plan to keep moving forward. One little step at a time. Point two miles at a time. Half a pound at a time. And eventually, I’ll be stronger, and healthier and skinnier. And then, it really won’t matter how long it took me to get there.

1 John 2:28 “And now, dear children, continue in Him . . .”

10 comments:

Lilly said...

Just fantastic, and you never fail to give me a shot in the arm when I most need it. Small steps foreward and it doesnt matter how long it takes as long as we are moving in the right direction. Thanks!!

Renae said...

Thanks, Lilly! I suppose it's kind of like the tortoise and the hare . . .

Blessings to you!

Cheryl Barker said...

It's nice to know we can collapse in the grass to rest and regroup as long as we get up again, isn't it? Good luck on your running and weight loss goals, Renae!

Patsy said...

needed this thanks! Blessings, Patsy

Renae said...

I agree, Cheryl. I'm so glad He doesn't hold those little setbacks against us. AS a matter of fact, He doesn't even consider them setbacks! Just resting time, when He can whisper in our ears the encouragement we need. :-)

Renae said...

Great to see you here, Patsy! :-)We all need a little pep talk now and then, don't we?

Robin Bryce said...

Oh my! I'm just trying to get my big toe out of the bed at times, much less in a running shoe. You go girl. I'll cheer you on from my cushy recliner! You go girl. I believe in you.

Renae said...

Thanks, Robin! :-)

Aleta said...

I love it - how you said that you keep going and yes, eventually you reach your goal. Beautiful, inspiring post!

Renae said...

Thanks, Aleta!